Demons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A personal hang out for two people with no life.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Kumori High -- A "Shadows" Story

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Samanosuke, Ibby
Admin
Samanosuke, Ibby

Kumori High -- A "Shadows" Story Empty
PostSubject: Kumori High -- A "Shadows" Story   Kumori High -- A "Shadows" Story Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 12:36 am

The series is continuing! YAY!!!!

Chapter One: Welcome to Kumori High

~ Yes, I know, the first person I introduce is Nathan. Next issue I'll introduce other people. But in the story, just like out here, Nathan is Inaara's best friend and confidant. So no complaints about, 'Why does NATHAN get to be in the story first and not MEEE?' Lol. I love you all. ~

Life at Kumori School for Adolescent Cases had never been so boring.

It was summer, and only the students who's families wouldn't take them back or the ones who had nowhere else to go were on campus, stuck milling around with nothing at all to do, not even homework, which oddly made it worse. After all, homework is better than two months of nothing. Or at least that's how the students felt.

The first semester was set to begin mid-August, a few days away. A few early students were arriving by train and car. Kumori High, as the kids called it, was miles away from any town or city, and as the students like to put it, that's too far away for anyone to hear you screaming.

The school itself was a large mansion sitting at the top of a hill overlooking a vast lake and a thick forested area, a single road leading out towards civilization. If one decided to walk home, it would take nearly a day to reach a telephone off campus. It would take nearly two days to find a populated enough area to hitch a ride or buy good food. In fact, Kumori High was at the exact dead center of the proverbial nowhere, and there was no way to get out.

And here, in this nowhere land, is where it all begins.

~~~

"I'm fine, Suki. You can stop fussing over me now."

The girl in the back seat, head in her hands, finally looked up at the woman beside her, who was babbling on about first day nonsense like make lots of friends and eat the healthy lunches provided. "Are you sure, Inaara dear? After all, this is the first time you've been away from me or Mr. Roswell."

"I really am fine." Inaara pressed her cheek to the glass of the window, letting a long strand of blood red hair fall across her face, concealing it from Suki. "Just... can you tell me when we're there? I think I'll take a nap."

Suki watched her, worried. "Honey, I know you're frightened. But this school will be good for you. There are people your own age. We've been shipping you around to foster families too long and it seems to hurt you. You can stay here as long as you like."

"I liked Mr. Roswell."

Suki sighed and folded her arms after straitening the jacket on her suit. "Inaara... I know you're upset. But please, you have to stay here for just a little while. No one can take care of you now. It's only for a little while."

Inaara stopped answering now, afraid of the awful words that would have come out had she said what was on her mind. You mean no one WILL take care of me. You don't love me. No one does. You're just trying to get rid of me for good so you can stop filing paperwork on my case.

The hurtful words still stung her somewhere deep inside, and she closed her eyes, trying hard not to cry.

~~~

Inaara watched as Suki handed her the two suitcases full of clothes and personal belongings, before getting back into the car.

"Sweetie..." Suki looked sad and guilty. "Please. I will be back for you. I promise."

Inaara realized she had been crying and wiped her eyes, nodding. "I know Suki. I'll miss you." You're never coming back for me.

"I hope you'll be happy here." Suki closed the door and looked at her through the glass window pane, sadly waving as the driver pulled away. Inaara watched them go, hoisting one of the suitcases to her chest and the other hanging limply in her hand at her side. She had never felt so crushed.

Now that Suki was gone, Inaara felt free to cry. She turned around and walked blindly up the steps to the front doors, hoping someone somewhere would come back for her. She already hated this place.

She knocked lightly, looking through the window in the double doors. No one came to answer, so she pulled the bell hanging beside her. Still no one came. Sighing in aggravation she pushed at the handle and was surprised when it gave way, the door opening with a loud squeal. She jumped, startled, and walked in slowly. "H-hello?" She called, looking around. "Can someone help me?"

The huge spiral staircase at the center of the foyer led straight up, and she could see clearly seven floors all the way up. She realized that these floors were large, and this was only one wing of the whole school. She couldn't imagine only one person living here, as Old Man Kumori had. When he died, his family found stated in his will that it become a school for disturbed or orphaned teenagers. A rather odd request, but it was quickly done. One hundred years ago, an old man lived in this huge place all alone.

Inaara wondered with a giggle if the old man knew exactly how many rooms were in his own house.

"Cute giggle."

She jumped again, frightened, looking around for the source of the voice. It was a boy, her age, leaning on the railing of the staircase and looking down at her from halfway between the second and first floors. "Umm.. what?"

The boy smiled. "I said cute giggle. Who are you?"

She blushed slightly. "My name is Inaara."

"Inaa," he said softly. "Can I call you that?"

She thought about it for a moment, then nodded. "Sure, I guess that's alright."

He smiled, his brown hair hanging in his eyes, a thick jacket on his shoulders in the middle of a very warm day. "Are you cold?" She asked.

"Cold to the world, cold in my heart," he said loftily, almost melodramatically. "Nathan is my name."

"Oh," she giggled. "Nathan, it's nice to meet you."

"Really?" He frowned. "Nice to meet me? I don't get that very often."

She laughed and put her suitcases down. "Maybe you can come down here and help me. These bags are heavy and I..."

He grabbed the banister and, before she had time to protest, hoisted himself over it and jumped off of the stairs. She nearly screamed, frozen in place, watching him fall and sure he would be hurt in a moment.

She closed her eyes before the impact, wondering why he would do such a stupid thing, and heard a dull thud. She wanted to open her eyes and see his condition, but she was too afraid that he was badly injured or even dead. But her eyes opened on their own when she heard soft footsteps coming toward her and felt a hand on her shoulder.

"What's the matter?" He asked.

She stared at him. "You jumped."

He stared back, then laughed. "After a while, you'll get one too."

"One what?" She was truly confused, looking him over to find the broken bone, the bruise, the tiniest scratch.

"Kids here at Kumori High... they come in normal. But something about this place brings out the best in some people."

"And what happens to the other ones?"

He looked at her solemnly, folding his arms. "It sometimes brings out the worst in people. But I wouldn't worry about it bringing out the worst in you."

"What..." she blinked, pushing a strand of hair behind her ear, watching him as he picked up her bag. "What do you mean by that?"

"You're a good person." He turned and winked at her over his shoulder. "I know it."

She blushed and picked up her other bag, following him up the stairs. Perhaps it wasn't so bad here after all.

"Also..." Nathan turned away with a small smile. "I could see rght down your shirt when I was looking down at you from the stairs."

Inaara blushed angrily and sighed. She felt like this was the beginning of an annoying but strong friendship.

"Nathan... shut up."

"Welcome to Hell," he said, laughing.

NEXT: Being Bad Feels Pretty Good (Introduction of Hizaku, Kadaj and Iblis)
Back to top Go down
Samanosuke, Ibby
Admin
Samanosuke, Ibby

PostSubject: Re: Kumori High -- A "Shadows" Story   Kumori High -- A "Shadows" Story Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 12:38 am

Chapter Two: Being Bad Feels Pretty Good

Inaara barely had a chance to put her things down on bed of her new room when there was a loud knock on the door. She sighed and turned around to open it, only to find Nathan standing there. "Didn't you just leave?"

"I'm lonely." He shrugged. "Let me hang out in here."

She nodded and let him in, going back to her bed as he closed the door. He glanced around at the room for a moment, then looked at her. "Girls get better rooms."

"If you say so," Inaara said softly, not really paying much attention and starting to set out her picture frames. Nathan sat on her bed and opened her second suitcase.

"So what do you think?" He said, digging through her clothes.

"I've been here all of ten minutes. I don't know what to think." She went to her window and pulled the curtains open. "Although there is another bed in here, so I suppose there will be a roommate."

"I'll be your roommate," he said, pulling out a bra. "Score..."

"Score what-- hey!" She turned and grabbed it from his hands, shoving it back into her suitcase. "Stop that."

"Awww," Nathan said, rolling his eyes. "You're no fun. What's this?"

She blushed and pulled the journal he had found out of his hands. "Not something I want you to look at."

"Oh. Okay. Sorry." He flopped back onto the bed, sighing loudly. "Bored."

"Anyway, about my roommate," she said softly. "I wonder if she's going to be nice. Do you think so?"

Nathan was about to reply, probably something snide, when there was the sound of something falling and breaking.

"What was that?" Inaara went to the door and opened it, looking up and down the hallway. Nathan got up and yawned.

"That was upstairs. Rowdy second-years. Always making trouble where there shouldn't be any." He sighed. "I love those guys. Main source of entertainment."

"What are they doing up there?" She asked, stepping out into the hall and looking up as something else broke.

"My guess?" Nathan was already on his way to the stairs. "Target practice. Come on."

Inaara blinked, trying to think of something to say, but shrugged, following along behind him in fear of being seen as uncool. Nathan was the only person who took time out of his day to talk to her and she didn't want him to be scared off.

Nathan led her up the stairs to the third floor, and he narrowly dodged a flying plate headed his way. Inaara didn't see the plate coming until it was too late and it hit the wall beside her, causing her to squeal and jump away from the shattering dish.

"Shit. Are you okay?"

She looked up, and there was someone standing beside her that hadn't been there a moment ago. She nearly cried out again, but it was silenced as he touched her shoulder. "You're bleeding."

"I.. what?" she whispered. For some reason she couldn't look away from his concerned, purple eyes.

He looked back at her and suddenly laughed. "Uh oh. We have a deer in headlights over here. Who's your friend, Nathan?"

"Iblis, this is Inaara. Inaara, Iblis." Nathan sighed, picking up a piece of the shattered plate. "Throwing plates again?"

"I almost got it this time." He shrugged. "It shouldn't be too hard to throw a plate, teleport to the spot it's going to hit and catch it."

"Playing catch with yourself?" Nathan laughed. "Wow. Where's Hizaku?"

"Hizaku?" Inaara said softly.

"My roommate," Iblis explained. "He's cool, you'd like him. Inaara right?"

She opened her mouth to answer and said nothing.

"Uh.." Iblis looked at Nathan. "Is she okay?"

"She was okay a few minutes ago..." Nathan walked over to her and waved around in her face. "Helloooo..."

"Stop being obnoxious," Inaara said, and Nathan laughed.

"So she is awake."

"Come on, can we go? I have to unpack," she said, turning to leave.

"Hey new girl," Iblis said. "There's gonna be a kitchen raid tonight. Want to come along?"

As soon as Nathan heard this, he glared at Iblis. "What? Why didn't you tell me about it? And you tell her. Typical."

"Hey, sorry," Iblis held up his hands. "You can come if you want."

"But you should have asked me."

"Ehh..."

They both turned to Inaara as she suddenly spoke.

"Sure."

Nathan then glared at her. "Huh?"

"Sure." She nodded. "I'll come."

Iblis smiled. "Great. See you guys then." And then he was gone.

Inaara blinked at the place where he had been. "It's like you said, right? Everybody gets one."

"That's right." Nathan nodded. "Ibby's been here a while, so he's got a few tricks. But you'll get one."

"What if I don't?" She asked nervously.

"You will." He smiled. "Come on, I want to dig through your stuff again."

~~~

"What are we waiting for?" Hizaku looked at Iblis, then at Inaara. "And who is this?"

"Inaara," Nathan said. He was starting to get used to talking for her.

Hizaku reached out and took her hand, kissing it lightly. "Nice to meet you."

Inaara blushed dark, stammering, and Hizaku laughed.

Iblis looked up and down the hallway again, then at Hizaku. "We're waiting on Angel. She said she would be here."

"Angel?" Inaara whispered, and Nathan looked at her.

"Ibby's main squeeze," Nathan whispered back.

Inaara nodded, biting her lip. "Oh."

"Forget her," Hizaku said. "We're going to get caught."

Iblis sighed. "But..."

"But nothing. She's an hour late. Let's go." Hizaku started down the stairs. "Come on!"

Nathan shrugged and started to follow him, taking Inaara's arm. "Come on Inaa."

Iblis rolled his eyes and walked behind them. "I'm going to get yelled at for this."

"You're always getting yelled at for something."

Inaara was still going over "main squeeze" in her head. "Nathan?"

"Yeah."

"I feel like this isn't such a good--"

"What are you kids doing out of your rooms?"

The four of them stopped dead and Inaara's heart jumped up her throat. The flashlight that was now pointed at them was being held by a tall man in nicer clothes than any student here could afford.

"Kadaj-Sensei," Hizaku bowed slightly. "I'm sorry, this is my fault."

"Alright." Kadaj looked over them sternly, and Inaara couldn't look away from him. He was so calm and strong looking. She couldn't help but respect him instantly. "Look. This is the last time I catch you out here. Clear?"

Hizaku and Iblis nodded, and Nathan stopped putting bunny ears over Inaara's head long enough to salute.

"Now go to bed."

Iblis gawked. "But... you didn't write anything in your book."

Inaara looked for what book he was talking about and spotted it under the Sensei's arm. Kadaj smiled slightly. "Just get to bed before someone else finds you. Okay?"

Iblis grinned, punching Hizaku's arm. "Sweet! Let's get out of here."

Inaara gasped, startled as they disappeared. When she turned to look at the Sensei, he was gone. Nathan stood beside her with his arms folded. "Thanks a lot."

"Come on," Inaara whispered. "I don't know how to get to my room."

Nathan smiled and took her arm. "This way."

He led her up the stairs and took her down a hallway she barely recognized, leading her to her door and opening it for her.

"Thanks," she whispered.

"No problem."

"Good night."

He grinned. "Nood Gight."

She giggled as she closed the door, then sighed.

One day in the rest of her life.

NEXT: Baycee Will Be Baycee
Back to top Go down
Samanosuke, Ibby
Admin
Samanosuke, Ibby

PostSubject: Re: Kumori High -- A "Shadows" Story   Kumori High -- A "Shadows" Story Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 12:39 am

Chapter Three: Baycee Will Be Baycee

"What are you guys looking at?"

Inaara had rounded a corner to see Iblis and Hizaku staring at something through the window. They were three floors up, looking down at the driveway, and she hesitantly walked over to them, standing between them.

"Hi, New Girl." Iblis waved without looking away from whatever they were looking at. Inaara glanced at him, blushing softly, before looking at Hizaku.

"That rabbit," Hizaku said, putting a hand on her shoulder and pointing down at the driveway. There was a small rabbit sitting on the walkway. "Has been sitting there for four hours."

"Maybe its asleep," Inaara murmured. They didn't hear her.

"Maybe its dead." Iblis said softly. "Oooh!"

"What?" Hizaku said, catching Inaara as she jumped at Iblis' sudden shout. It seemed as though everyone was getting used to her.

"Let's go poke it!"

Inaara went pale and looked at him, tight lipped with angry eyes. Iblis looked back at her, a little surprised at this sudden glare, and she punched his shoulder. "Don't you dare!"

"Ow!" He rubbed his shoulder, frowning. "What was that for!"

"Poor bunny..." she put her hands on the windowsill and stared down at it. "I'm gonna go see if its okay."

Hizaku and Iblis watched her as she ran for the stairs. Hizaku sighed. "Let's go. She's gonna start crying if its dead."

Iblis shrugged. "I don't see what's so bad about it."

"Have you forgotten she's a girl, Iblis? Dead bunnies distress girls."

Inaara made it downstairs and opened the door, and squealed when she saw the rabbit at her feet. "Hey!"

Iblis slid down the banister and Hizaku stayed halfway up the stairs.

"Its okay," Inaara smiled, pointing at it as she looked at Iblis.

"Yeah, I guess it is." Iblis smiled and picked the rabbit up. "Aren't you a cute little guy."

"Uh..." Hizaku took a step down the stairs. "Iblis?"

The rabbit's eyes narrowed and it opened its mouth wide, biting down hard on Iblis' hand. He cried out and tried to shake it off.

"I believe that rabbit is a she," Hizaku said. "Actually, I think she's a student here."

"How can you tell?" Ibis muttered sourly as Inaara pulled the rabbit away. "It's a dumb rabbit."

"I think she's a fourth year."

Iblis gasped slightly in shock. Inaara looked at him curiously, then at Hizaku.

"A fourth year? What's so special about a fourth year?"

"Fourth years are as high as it gets," Iblis said. "She survived four years here without dying."

"But... she's a rabbit." Inaara blinked. "Wait-- without DYING?"

Iblis didn't get a chance to explain. The rabbit jumped out of Inaara's arms and landed softly on the floor. Slowly, the rabbit stood on two legs, then shifted into a thirteen year old girl, folding her arms and tilting her head indignantly.

"Woah," Iblis said softly, bowing slightly. "It's Baycee."

"Baycee?" Inaara looked from the girl, who still had bunny ears sticking out of her faded purple hair, to Iblis and Hizaku, who looked on in awe.

"Baycee. She's been here since she was eight. She ran away from here at the end of last year. I didn't think she was coming back," Hizaku said. "She's the only fourth year."

Baycee stepped forward and shoved Iblis playfully. "How could you not recognize me?" Her voice was sweet and high-pitched, and she smiled like an angel.

Iblis smiled back. "Hey, you shift so well now I can't tell the difference." Iblis looked at Inaara. "When Hizaku and I were first years like you, she helped us through the exams and stuff."

Inaara didn't see how doing some tests well garnered so much respect, but she waved nervously anyway.

"And who is this? New first year?" Baycee smiled at Inaara and hugged her. "Welcome to Kumori High!"

Inaara was startled by the hug. "Uhhmm.. thank you?"

"How cute," Baycee let her go and patted her shoulder. "Once you get your power, you'll feel right at home." She turned to Hizaku. "Are there any other first years?"

"Yeah. Kid named Nathan. I'll show you." He started up the stairs and Baycee followed, taking two steps at a time.

Inaara looked at Iblis for some kind of explanation. He laughed. "There is no explaining Baycee. She just is what she is."

"But..." She tried to form her question and failed. Iblis smiled and patted her shoulder as Baycee had.

"Don't worry, Ina. You'll get it. And we'll help you."

As Iblis vanished, Inaara stared at the place he had been.

Just what was this place, anyway?

NEXT: Enter Angel
Back to top Go down
Samanosuke, Ibby
Admin
Samanosuke, Ibby

PostSubject: Re: Kumori High -- A "Shadows" Story   Kumori High -- A "Shadows" Story Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 12:40 am

Chapter Four: Enter Angel

Nathan looked over at Inaara again, and saw she was still gazing across the small dining area at Hizaku and Iblis. He laughed a little and poked her shoulder with his fork.

"Hey Inaa." He laughed again as she didn't respond. "Inaa. Are you there?"

She blinked and looked at him. "Uhhh?"

"There you are." He smiled and looked over at Iblis. "You keep staring at them. What, they do something to make you mad?"

"No.." She murmured. "Nothing to make me mad, I'm just curious about them is all."

"You think I've gotten any answers either?" Nathan shook his head. "Nobody gives anyone a straight answer around here, it's like they never finish a statement."

"Did you hear... about the dying thing, too?"

"I don't know. I heard a little from Baycee. It has something to do with the exams..."

But Inaara was watching Iblis and Hizaku again. Iblis was balancing a glass filled with water on his head. She smiled slightly, but it quickly vanished as she heard her voice for the first time.

"Ibby!"

She and Nathan turned to look at her as she walked in, stepping into a patch of sunlight before running to Iblis and Hizaku. Inaara gawked as she put her arms around his waist and kiss his lips passionately. The glass of water fell off of his head and Hizaku caught it, laughing a little.

Inaara let out a small gasp and whispered. "She's... she's pretty..."

Nathan whistled under his breath, then looked at Inaara, who had gone white.

"Inaa?" He poked her again. "Woah. Inaa... are you crushing on Iblis?"

"What?!" She shook her head violently. "No!"

"Sorry," Nathan said softly. "Angel and Iblis are like a legend out here, they've been together since their first day here. You don't have a chance."

Inaara sighed loudly, which caused Nathan to laugh. She glared at him, and he held up his hands, still laughing.

"I am not CRUSHING on him," she hissed.

"Yes you are," he cackled.

"Am not!" She shoved his shoulder and he kept laughing at her. "You are."

Inaara glanced back over at Angel as she sat in Iblis' lap and pulled out a package. He kissed her forehead as he ripped it open and pulled out a new sweater. Inaara scowled.

"You are," Nathan repeated after he had finished laughing.

She sighed. "I am."

"Sorry."

She grabbed her plate and headed for the kitchen, shaking her head. "No it's okay. It's my luck I guess."

She walked into the kitchen and set the plate down onto the counter, then leaned against it, sniffing. She jumped as the door opened again and Iblis wandered in with his own plate. He looked at her for a second, then smiled and waved. "New girl!"

"I have a name," she muttered.

"Uhh..." He said softly. "Inaara, right?"

She nodded slowly, and he smiled. "Right."

"So... Angel, huh?" She giggled nervously. "Funny name."

"Not that funny," he said, and she frowned, staring at her feet.

"Sorry..."

Suddenly, his hand was on her shoulder. "You okay?"

Inaara blushed deeply, looking up at him.

Nathan, her savior, slammed the door open. "Hidey-ho, what's going on in here?? Inaa, I've been looking for you."

She sighed in relief as Iblis backed away slightly. She was no longer in danger of making herself look like an idiot.

As she followed Nathan out, she smiled at him. "Thanks. I was about to drool all over myself."

"No problem. Anything for the prettiest girl in Kumori."

She giggled again and shoved his shoulder gently.

NEXT: What's Up, Doc?
Back to top Go down
Samanosuke, Ibby
Admin
Samanosuke, Ibby

PostSubject: Re: Kumori High -- A "Shadows" Story   Kumori High -- A "Shadows" Story Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 12:41 am

Chapter Five: What's up, Doc?

"Meow!"

"Hello?" Inaara rounded the corner, slightly frightened now. It was dark in the hall and she was lost again. Her scattered mind wasn't enough to memorize her new surroundings. "Kitty cat...?"

She had been hearing the cat every night since she first slept in this place. The cat that ran around in the dark yet she had never seen it. Tonight, she promised herself, I am going to see that cat even if it kills me.

"Here.. kitty kitty.." She mumbled, holding the lantern in her hand high, shivering.

The bell on the cat's neck jingled softly as she saw a shadow jump down from a high shelf and into a small room to the side, almost hidden behind the dusty shelves and furniture. None of this is on the map in the foyer, she thought to herself, which made her tremble. This must be the forbidden wing that Hizaku had been telling her about yesterday. She suddenly wished Hizaku was with her.

With a faint blush, she realized she would much rather have his friend Iblis.

"Meww..."

Inaara snapped herself out of her thoughts and followed the cat into the small room. There was a light on in the room connected to it, shining under the door, and she finally saw the cat. It flicked it's tail at her and mewed softly. The cat stared at her with bright eyes as she knelt and held the lantern closer to it.

"Hey, kitty..." She whispered. "Come here."

The cat turned around and pushed the door open. Inaara stood when she saw someone sitting in there.

The room was tiny as well, with a single desk in the corner where the man was sitting. His glasses had slipped to the end of his nose, and he was dozing, one hand tangled in his long dark hair and the other hand limply holding a pencil. The cat jumped onto the desk and the man jumped, startled. "Wha--?"

"Sorry," Inaara stuttered. "I didn't mean to disturb you.."

"You're a student," he said as he stood up. "You're not supposed to be back here."

"I'm sorry..." She said again. "That cat..."

He pulled the cat into his lap and stroked it. "Vixen. My cat"

"Oh..." She sighed. "Well, I'll go..."

"Wait..." He stood up and walked around the desk.

"That's a doctor's coat," she said, pointing. "Are you a doctor?"

"The school doctor, yes," He said. "I used to go to school here. I developed healing abilities in my third week. I stayed here when I graduated. I found it hard to believe I survived this place. The headmaster convinced me that the school needed me. So I stayed."

"Survived?" Ina asked curiously. "Everyone says that, but no one explains."

"The exams..." He began, but they heard a door open close by. "That might be a teacher. You have to get out of here."

She nods, afraid to get caught out of her room at night again, and slipped out. "Bye, Doc.."

"What's your name?" He whispered as he watched her go.

"Inaara," She said softly.

"Come by my office tomorrow," He said. "This wing is amazing. So many things to see. I know it's forbidden... But that's what makes it fun, right?"

She smiled and nodded, darting quietly away.

NEXT: The Old Library
Back to top Go down
Samanosuke, Ibby
Admin
Samanosuke, Ibby

PostSubject: Re: Kumori High -- A "Shadows" Story   Kumori High -- A "Shadows" Story Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 12:42 am

Chapter Six: The Old Library

Inaara sneezed for the fourth time and Nathan punched her shoulder. "Ow!" She cried, rubbing it. "What's wrong with you?"

"If a teacher hears us in this wing we're dead." Nathan looked around. "I don't have a place to go if we get kicked out."

"Neither do I, stop whining," Iblis said, looking back at them. "Where is the place you found again?"

Inaara blinked. "Um... I don't know. As a matter of fact, I don't recognize anything."

"What?" Hizaku looked at her, startled. "When were you going to mention that?"

"I didn't notice til just now," Ina murmured, blushing. "I know this is the way I came in."

Angel flipped her hair and folded her arms. "What are you, stupid? Everyone knows that the forbidden wing is forbidden because it's always changing."

Iblis looked at Angel as if to protest, but she took his hand and squeezed lightly, giving him a smile, and he gave up.

"Changing?" Ina looked at Hizaku, hoping for a hint.

Hizaku nodded. "I have read that somewhere. But I thought that was just a rumor. People say that the hallways are always switching around, rooms are never in the same place twice."

"Oh, fun," Nathan muttered darkly.

"That's never good," Iblis said. "The doc didn't tell you about that?"

Inaara shook her head, face pale. Yet one more crazy thing about this school. "How can... rooms... move...?"

"Same way Ibby can be in one place one second and be in another place the next," Nathan said, pointing as Iblis was suddenly a wisp of smoke, reappearing beside the nearest set of double doors.

Hizaku stepped forward. "Don't open those."

"Don't you hear that?" As the others approached him, he listened at the door. "A piano."

Ina nodded. "I hear."

Iblis pushed the doors open slowly, and the sight was staggering.

They were in the doorway to a great library, with windows on the wall that stretched from floor to ceiling, garbed with beautiful maroon curtains tied back by gold tassels. The sunlight streamed through the stained glass window pains, casting colorful patterns of sunshine across the burgundy carpeting. The other three walls were covered by floor to ceiling bookshelves, filled with every kind of book anyone could ever imagine.

The piano in the center of the enormous library had no one in front of it, and the music stopped as Ina stepped in in wonder.

"Is that a teacher?" Nathan asked, pointing at the man sitting in a large chair by the fireplace.

"That's the Doctor," Inaara said, walking to him.

He looked up at her and smiled. "Inaara."

"These are my friends," she said. "Nathan, Hizaku, Iblis and Angel."

Angel smiled and nodded. The Doctor looked at her for a moment, then looked back at Inaara. "I'm happy you found this library."

"It's beautiful," Hizaku said. "Is this the grand library of Kumori?"

"It is," Doctor stood and looked around at the many books. "I come here every day. There is a pattern to where it appears. It's my favorite place."

Nathan wandered over to a tall mirror propped up against one of the bookshelves. It showed his reflection only briefly, and when he stepped directly in front of him, when it swirled into a mass of jumbled colors.

"Guys?" he muttered, reaching out to touch the glass.

"Nathan?" Inaara looked at him, then gasped. "Nathan, don't touch that!"

Iblis looked at him too, and ran over to grab his shoulder, but Nathan's fingers had already brushed against the glass. He suddenly found himself being pulled into the mirror.

"Hey!" Nathan cried out. "Shit! Somebody get this thing off!"

"Nathan!" Iblis grabbed his arm and yanked hard, but Nathan was only sinking further into the mirror.

"Let go," Angel shouted. "Ibby, let go!"

"Don't let go!!" Nathan shouted over her.

Nathan's face began to sink into the mirror, and Iblis was elbow deep.

"Let go!!" Angel ran over, but didn't touch him, afraid of being sucked in herself. Hizaku grabbed the frame of the mirror and tried to pull it back. It wouldn't budge.

Inaara screamed as both Nathan and Iblis completely vanished into the colorful swirls of the mirror.

NEXT: The Other Room
Back to top Go down
Samanosuke, Ibby
Admin
Samanosuke, Ibby

PostSubject: Re: Kumori High -- A "Shadows" Story   Kumori High -- A "Shadows" Story Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 12:43 am

Chapter Seven: Through the Looking Glass Part One: The Other Room

"We have to do something," Angel shrieked.

"We have to find a teacher," Hizaku said, turning for the door, but Inaara walked right past him towards the mirror. "Miss Inaara-- what are you doing?"

"Making sure they're okay," she said, looking determined as she places the mirror back against the bookcase exactly as it was.

"You can't go in there," Angel said loudly. "You'd be dumb to go in there. You can't."

"Oh yeah?" Inaara turned to glare at her. "WATCH me. I'll go in there and I'll even come out. Just wait."

"Inaara, think this through," Hizaku said calmly, holding up his hands. "They could be trapped, or hurt... or even--"

"Don't say it," Inaara warned. "Don't you dare, I won't believe it. I'm going in there and I will bring them back."

"You can't go in there," Angel said again. "You don't... you don't even have a power yet. You're just a first year."

"Then come with me," she begged, looking from her to Hizaku, then to the doctor, who was standing by his chair. "Please. Please come help me. I have to save them."

She thought for a moment about why she cared so much. Of course she cared if Nathan got out, he was the other first year, and the first person who had talked to her. She could even go so far as to call him her best friend. But she felt stronger feelings about saving Iblis. She couldn't find a decent reason so she ignored it, blushing slightly as she looked back at Hizaku.

"There's no way I'm going in there," Angel said. "No way."

"Not even to save Iblis?" Doctor seemed slightly cold, but Ina didn't have time to think about that.

"I don't know if that thing will kill me. I can't go in there."

Inaara shrugged. "Fine. I'll go by myself."

As she turned to the mirror and watched the colors swirl, Hizaku stepped forward and touched her shoulder. "I'll go with you."

She looked at him with teary eyes and smiled. "You will. I knew you would. Thank you."

He nodded solemnly. She nodded back and turned back to the mirror, comforted slightly by Hizaku's hand on her shoulder. She reached out and slowly put her fingertips to the glass and felt the colors pull her in, and imagined this constraint, this gravity must have been the terror that Nathan and Iblis had felt moments before they were sucked in.

What if they really were dead?

She pushed the thought out of her mind and let herself be pulled in. Hizaku kept his hand firmly on her shoulder.

The last thing she saw outside of the mirror was Angel walking over to the doctor with tears in her eyes, shaking her head.

~.~.~.~.~

Inaara suddenly was aware of a headache. It pounded through her temples like a hammer on cement, throbbing away in a dull ache that made her eyes stay tightly shut.

"Inaara." Someone was shaking her. "Inaara, wake up. You have to wake up."

She struggled to recognize the voice. Hizaku. "Are... we... dead?"

"No. But I don't know where we are. You have to sit up."

Inaara's eyes fluttered open slowly, and she took in the ornate, painted ceiling of the grand library. But there was something off. Things were brighter somehow, crisp and sharp, yet things were curved in a way, like a room in a looking glass. "Is there... something wrong with my eyes?"

"This place must be some sort of alternate dimension. Perhaps we are inside the reflection of that mirror." Hizaku helped her to her feet, looking around with curios eyes. "This place is incredible. I wonder how far this reflection goes."

"This is so weird," Ina giggled, looking at her hands. "I know this is my left hand... but it's on my right side."

"Come on, Ina," Hizaku said. "Iblis and Nathan must be in here somewhere, and if they left the library there must be more to this place than we can see right now. Let's go."

She nodded. "Let's go back the way we came. They probably went looking for a teacher."

"You're right."

Hizaku led the way, as Inaara was still a little lost as to where she was going. He pushed the double doors of the library open and stepped out into the hallway.

"This place is so... screwy," she giggled again, looking at the backwards paintings. "Nathan! Ibby!"

"Iblis," Hizaku called. "Where are you?"

"You don't think they got lost?"

"No," Hizaku shook his head. "Ibby is too smart for that."

Ina squealed as something ran past her feet, then gasped as she watched the small rabbit scamper around the corner. "Baycee!"

"How?" Hizaku whispered.

"Let's follow her!" Inaara ran after the rabbit, ignoring Hizaku's protests, and he followed after her.

She followed the rabbit out of the forbidden wing and out into a main hallway leading to the spiral staircase. Looking around, Inaara realized she had let the rabbit out of her sight, and now she couldn't find it again.

"Baycee?" She called nervously. "Nathan? Iblis?"

Hizaku grabbed her shoulder, his knuckles white, and she squealed. He put a hand over her mouth and pulled her back into the smaller hallway.

"Hiza-- what--" She looked at him as he took his hand away from her mouth. He tried to look away from whatever he had seen, but he couldn't take his eyes off of it, staring up at the ceiling above the main foyer, over the staircase. She followed his eyes and went shock white.

It was a teenage boy. His neck was snapped. He swung from a rope around his neck and tied to the crystal chandelier, which clanked every time his body turned.

Taking in the other details was hard.

His hair was a dark silver, almost white in a certain lighting, and his school uniform told her he was a student. When his body was turned completely around, she screamed in horror.

Iblis was hanging there, dead for what looked like a long, long time.

NEXT: PART TWO: The Future That Will Be
Back to top Go down
Samanosuke, Ibby
Admin
Samanosuke, Ibby

PostSubject: Re: Kumori High -- A "Shadows" Story   Kumori High -- A "Shadows" Story Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 12:44 am

Chapter 8: Through the Looking Glass Part Two -- The Horror of the Other Side

"Hizaku..." Inaara gasped out, feeling faint. She blinked, then looked up at him. She wanted to cry, and from the look on Hizaku's face, he wanted to do a lot more than that. "That's..."

"Impossible," Hizaku said, his expression strengthening. "That can't be Iblis. So, what we need to do now is find him."

"Hiza, he's... he's right there..." Ina was shocked at his blatant denial. "Please..."

"It's not him," Hizaku shook his head. "It can't be him."

Inaara looked at him with tears in her eyes, grabbing the front of his shirt and shaking him lightly. He had to see the truth. He couldn't go on lying like this. "Hizaku, please... Hiza..."

"Hey, guys." The voice came from above them. Inaara had a brief moment of Deja Vu before she realized who that voice belonged to.

"Nathan!" She cried, whirling around to look up the staircase at him. Nathan smiled down at them, but there was something wrong, something off about his eyes that chilled Inaara to the bone, sucking the joy of recognition from her. "What's-- what's wrong?"

Nathan took a few steps down and held out his hand, indicating the hanging body of their friend. "What do you think? Dead. Four years. I have to see that thing every time I walk on the stairs. It really limits my enjoyment of being stuck here."

"Impossible as well," Hizaku snapped, clinging to his denial, his fast mind coming to conclusions as Inaara barely had time to comprehend the word 'dead'. "Why have you not aged? And why has that body not decomposed?"

"Time and space work differently here," Nathan muttered. "Honestly, don't you read anything useful? And I couldn't find a way out, so... here I am."

Inaara found her voice. "Did... he... do this to... to himself...?" She said in a pained, choked whisper.

"Of course not," Hizaku snapped again. Inaara flinched.

Nathan shook his head.

"Then who?" Inaara looked at the body briefly, then tore her gaze away.

Nathan remained silent. He took a few more steps down, now within arm's reach of Inaara. His smile had long gone, fled in the wake of a pale, shaky ghost of the Nathan she knew. He would never ask for a hug. She held out her arms in invitation, hoping to bring her Nathan back. He fell into them.

"Have you been alone... all these years?" The sympathy in her voice was staggering. She had never felt more sorry for anyone in her life.

"No..." He seemed to darken in mood, then stepped away from her. "The things that did that to Ibby... they live here too."

"What things?" Hizaku questioned.

"The Shadow People," Nathan paled slightly, then looked at Hizaku. "They can't be seen... not until they attack."

"Shadow People..." Hizaku scanned his extensive knowledge of the school. "I... I have never heard of such beings."

"That's a first," Nathan muttered with a dark laugh. Inaara gave him a sharp glance, then turned to Hizaku.

"If there is a way in here," Inaara said. "Then there must be a way out."

"I know there is a way out," Nathan said. "Ibby and I stayed in the library for a long time. The mirror is somewhere in the school. I just haven't found it yet."

"But we don't know how the mirror works," Hizaku said softly. "We might end up in worse trouble."

Nathan laughed. "Worse trouble than this? Besides, with you two here slowing me down and making noise, we will be dead before the night is through."

Hizaku seemed to blister at this, and Inaara rubbed his arm to calm him. "Maybe if we find Baycee."

"Baycee?" Nathan said, confused. "Baycee isn't here."

"Baycee is here," Ina insisted. "I saw her, just after we arrived here. A rabbit running through the halls."

"I've had hallucinations here before," Nathan scoffed. "Mirror images of what's happening in the real world. For a whole month I was convinced Kadaj was here."

"But Baycee is here," Ina said softly, and Hizaku touched her shoulder to silence her.

"There's no use arguing," He said. "If she is here, she will find us. If not, we must find the mirror. Perhaps if he have a good look at it we can figure out how it works."

"First, we have to get to my safe place," Nathan looked pleading, pale and almost frightened. "It's almost night. They will wake up."

Ina nodded immediately, the pain and fear in his voice convincing her. Hizaku nodded as well.

"Alright, lead the way."

Nathan turned and sprinted down the stairs. "It's on the main floor. The kitchen closet. There's enough room for us to sleep and the lights work. There's food."

"Nathan, I had no idea how resourceful you are," Inaara said, smiling a little, trying to break him out of his serious mood.

He stopped and looked at her over his shoulder. "I've been here for a long time. It's the only safe place I can find."

She nodded at his dark face, her heart sinking. She hated seeing him like this. And she knew he might just be broken -- driven insane by four years of solitude, fearing for his life. She shivered as she realized how strong Nathan must be. She would have killed herself the moment she lost Iblis.

Ibby isn't lost, she convinced herself. There's a way to bring him back. There must be!

She was confused at how much she wanted Ibby right at this moment. His smile would surely brighten up Nathan's dark mood.

"Through here," Nathan said, and she knew he was happy, almost, that she and Hizaku were here to keep him company.

Hizaku looked around the small, lived-in closet for a moment. "It seems... cozy."

A sleeping bag was spread out in the far corner, covered in dust and seemingly untouched for a very long time. In the corner closest to the door, there was a pile of pillows and comforters pulled from the dorms. Nathan dropped into the pile and pulled out a book.

Ina looked at the shelves lining the walls, stocked with cans of food and lamps and packages of stale crackers, probably harvested from the kitchen freezers. Nathan glanced up and noticed her looking.

"Go ahead and help yourselves to some food," He said. "Pick a place to sleep. We wait here, door locked and lights on, until morning."

"And the Shadow People, they won't find us in here?" Hizaku asked.

"Oh, they know I'm in here," Nathan said darkly. "They try to get in here every night. I've just been strong enough to keep them out."

As if on cue, a loud thumping sound came from just outside the closet. Something had slammed against the door, testing it's strength.

"Speak of the Devil, and the Devil shall appear." Nathan stood. "Turn on all of the lights."

Hizaku started reaching for various lamps and switches, quickly illuminating the room.

Nathan stood strongly a few feet from the door, hands held out towards it, as if pushing an invisible barrier. Ina watched curiously, then looked at Hizaku.

"His ability," Hizaku said softly, trying not to disrupt Nathan's concentration. "Very special. He can move things with his mind. He is holding the door closed."

Inaara looked back at Nathan with a shocked stare. She realized what was wrong with his eyes, the ache she had seen in them. Nathan hadn't had a full night's sleep in four years.

Another thump at the door. The Shadow People were still trying to get in. Nathan's face hardened as he pushed forward with his mind, standing as still as stone.

Inaara wished for a power. She wished to be useful. She wished to relieve Nathan.

She wished for Iblis.

Another thud, harder this time. Nathan seemed to strain.

"I can't..." Nathan whispered. "I can't hold it... they want us badly... I can't, not tonight..."

"Keep holding, Nathan," Hizaku urged. He held up his hands and both of his hands burst into a bright red fire that startled Inaara. He was preparing for a fight. "As long as you can. Inaara, stay behind me."

Inaara watched the door, terrified, as the thuds simply continued on.

She was sure that Nathan was right. They would be dead before morning.

NEXT: Home Is Through The Darkness

Last edited by Samanosuke, Ibby on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Inaa-hime
Admin
Inaa-hime

PostSubject: Re: Kumori High -- A "Shadows" Story   Kumori High -- A "Shadows" Story Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 1:26 am

Chapter 9: Home is Through the Darkness

The door flew open.

Nathan flew back, slamming hard against the wall, sending cans and shelves clattering to the ground. Inaara screamed, running to him. Hizaku stepping forward holding up his flaming fists.

“Stay back!” He shouted, and Inaara looked up, into the face of evil.

These creatures were pure shadow, swaying tendrils that licked at the corners of the doors. Hizaku’s fire and the overhead lamps were enough to hold them back for now, but the door was shattered on the floor, torn from it’s hinges. There was no way out but through them. Inaara’s eyes widened as she saw screaming faces in the black, mist-like bodies.

“No escape,” She whispered, turning a pale white. “No escape.”

Nathan looked up at her, recovering. “No. Stop it. Inaa!”

She broke her attention away from the creatures and looked down at him.

“When you look at them, you see things that will draw you too them. When you’re close enough they will swallow you. They fill you with fear of being trapped so you try to escape, which makes you panic, making you easier prey.”

“How do you know all this?” She whispered softly.

“First hand experience,” He said. “I watched Ibby walk right up to them.”

She was suddenly gripped with curiosity. What an odd time to ask a question such as this. “What did he see?”

“He suddenly started shouting... ‘Mom, mom.’” Nathan shook his head. “He tried to convince me to come with him. I told him I wouldn’t go near those things. When I tried to hold him back, he attacked me and ran to them.”

Nathan had stopped looking at her. Inaara wondered why he always looked away when he talked.

Hizaku threw a fireball into their midst. The shadows scooted away from the bright ball of light and Hizaku grinned, celebrating his victory. Then he frowned as the fire was engulfed by a darkness he couldn’t see through. He then realized that it was only because there was a shadow directly in front of him. He cried out in terror and jumped back just as the lights went out.

“It’s a King Shadow!” Nathan’s scream broke through Inaara’s confusion as he grabbed her arm and pulled her to her feet. “We have to run!”

“Run where?!” She looked around, feeling his cold hand on her arm but not seeing him. She felt an arm under her leg, and she was suddenly picked up.

“Hizaku!” Nathan stepped forward, carrying her. “HIZAKU!”

“Here,” Hizaku’s voice sounded far away, but within seconds, his hand was on hers. “Is she alright?”

“She’s been blinded. We have to get her out of here.”

What? She had been blinded? Did that mean they can see?

Suddenly, she saw Iblis.

He was right in front of her, staring at her, feet away from her and she felt as though Nathan and Hizaku weren’t even there.

“New girl,” He said softly. “Come through here. I promise it’s safe. The only way home is through the darkness.”

“No,” She whispered. “That’s not true. Nathan said--”

“Nathan was wrong.” He shook his head and stepped forward. “Please, you have to believe me. The shadows have been trying to help you. They aren’t the enemy.”

“Nathan said they would make me see something that would lead me to them.”

“He pushed me into the shadows to escape them,” Ibby looked bitter, then again kind, as he held out his hand. “You three come on through, you’ll be back in the library and everything will be fine.”

“But Nathan said you ran to them.”

Ibby shook his head. “That’s not important now. The shadows are trying to send you home. Please believe me. Do you trust me, new girl?”

She nodded slowly. “I trust you.”

“Then get Hizaku and Nathan. Come through.”

She nodded. “I will.”

The lights were back on. Nathan cradled her with one arm, throwing blasts of telekinetic energy at the shadows. Hizkau was on her other side, throwing fireballs. She looked at them, then slipped out of Nathan’s grasp and stepped forward.

“Home,” She whispered. “The way home it through the darkness.”

“What?” Nathan shook his head. “Inaa, no, stay behind us...”

“I won’t!” She screamed. “And both of you are coming home with me, right now! Ibby said this is the way out, and I believe him.”

“Iblis?” Hizaku blinked. “Iblis, where did you see him?”

“When I was blinded.” She smiled. “Don’t you think it’s weird that we aren’t dead yet?”

Hizaku’s face showed her that he wanted to believe. “And if you’re wrong?”

“Isn’t it worth a shot?” She smiled. “Come on. If I’m wrong, I’ll buy you drinks in Hell.”

Nathan shrugged. “Whatever. You two go ahead.”

“No, Nathan.” Inaara looked determined. She grabbed Nathan by his arm and pulled as hard as she could muster, flinging him towards the shadows. Nathan fought, turning on her, pushing her back.

“NO!” He shouted. “No, they’ve tricked you!”

“They haven’t,” She whispered, watching the shadows pull him in. “I’m sorry if they did.”

Hizaku looked at her. “Well?”

“Let’s go...” She looked up at him. “Ibby is waiting. Isn’t he?”

“Whether you are right or not,” he smiled back. “Yes he is.”
He took her hand, and the two stepped through, the shadows swallowing them down into the blackness.

They were out.

Inaara opened her eyes to see Iblis standing over her and her face flushed. “You believed me.”

“I did.” She sat up with his help and looked around. Nathan was sitting with a smug ‘leave me alone, so what if I was dead wrong’ look on his face. Hizaku was smiling at her, arms folded. Angel and the Doctor were hanging back, looking shocked. “How long were we gone?”

“A few seconds,” Hizaku grinned widely. “Now we can get out of here.”

“Definitely.” She stood and brushed her skirt off. Nathan stood too. Angel stepped forward.

“I’m sorry, Inaara,” She whispered. “I should have come with you.”

She smiled. “It’s alright. Let’s just get back to the main section before Kadaj catches us.”

Inaara smiled as she followed the rest of them out. What a day.

New life? Not so bad.
Back to top Go down
https://demonforum.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kumori High -- A "Shadows" Story   Kumori High -- A "Shadows" Story Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kumori High -- A "Shadows" Story
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Demons :: Your first category :: OCC-
Jump to: